Friday, January 21, 2011

Detox Diet Question

Q: What do you think of doing mini-cleanses/detoxification diets? I only ask because I have noticed more frequent upset stomachs within the last six months, or so, and I am wondering if something I am eating is aggravating things. I have read a few articles on “cleansing” programs which basically provide a list of foods that you can eat (mostly fruits, veggies, nuts, lean proteins, legumes) and can not eat (certain fruits, veggies, wheat, sugar, caffeine, alcohol). Their point is that chemicals and toxins from growing and processing foods may take a toll on our digestive systems. Many plans consist of a liquid breakfast/dinner and one solid meal.

I’m only curious in identifying things that upset my stomach . . . but health-wise, I’m wondering if doing a mini version of this would adversely affect me – is it a good idea?

Upset in SD

A: That is actually a good question, one I'm sure many athletes have. My answer – yes and no. The primary concern for any athlete making a dietary change is to eat enough calories to support your training. Inadequate energy (calorie) intake is a huge contributor to overtraining.

In my opinion, if someone exercises enough, drinks enough water, and eats enough fiber – they will be "cleansed" on a regular basis. But, if you are interested in finding out what may be upsetting your stomach, I have two recommendations:

1) Record everything you eat for 3-4 days and leave room on that sheet for comments. Write down how you feel 30-90 minutes after each meal or snack to determine if you can pinpoint what foods might have the most adverse effect. I agree that caffeine, high-sugar foods, dairy, nuts/seeds, and/or roughage vegetables are common triggers to an upset stomach.

OR

2) Do a version of a detox diet in which you do not restrict calories or particular foods, but restrict simple sugars (except during exercise) and any foods with pesticides, preservatives, or other unnatural additives. This is “clean” eating, rather than a temporary cleanse or detox diet. 

For athletes (or anyone who exercises more than five hours per week) I do not believe two liquid meals would provide enough energy to support your training. Any positive effects of the cleansing foods would be negated by the lack of energy intake. 

If a food is truly triggering an upset stomach or digestion problems – one week of eliminating that food should improve symptoms.

Justin Robinson, MA,RD,CSSD,FAFS,CSCS

No comments:

Post a Comment